Sunday, October 3, 2010

Oh the joys of small towns in France

If last year the occasional lack of internet made me depressed, hmmm I wonder what the total lack of internet will do. The school where I'm living is under construction. While they were doing work on my side of the building they took out the wifi system and they haven't re-installed it. This will be fixed "soon" apparently. I don't have much faith in them. I told them my birthday is next week and I would like a way to talk to my family by then. I'm not sure if there is really any way to make them hurry up and just do it already.

I have a TV in my room that gets 3 channels...occasionally. It's mostly soap operas though. When I got there the shower was broken and the toilet was leaking. Luckily they fixed these things pretty quickly. There are only 2 language assistants at this school. Me and the Spanish assistant from Mexico. The school put me on the 4th floor...and the other assistant on the 2nd floor. I'm not sure why they separated us.

I found a yarn shop and I started knitting a scarf to pass the time. My classes don't start until Tuesday next week. Then...I bought groceries so I could make dinner in my room instead of eating constantly in the cafeteria. I bought a knife and cutting board because I didn't have one. The store had put the bar code sticker on the blade. While I was trying to wash it off I accidentally cut my left thumb. Blood everywhere...and I went to the hospital. Luckily it wasn't a big cut...it just bled a lot. The doctor put some steri strips on it...the french equivalent of butterfly bandages. It's doing ok now. Just a bit annoying. It's hard to button things, type, wash things. I'm not supposed to get it wet.

In Figeac not many people speak English. My brain has been in French mode for weeks. It feels weird to be writing in English. My head is still thinking in French sentence structures and vocab. This didn't really happen the last time I was in France because I was with all Americans or people that spoke English because they were foreigners. People in Figeac don't recognize my accent as "American" straight off....they have to ask. I've been asked multiple times if I'm French, and what part of France I come from. And then when I say I'm American...apparently I don't understand enough French to talk to them and they get nervous. There are a lot of tourists in Figeac during the summer because it is a medieval town built on the old trade routes and all of the buildings were built in the 12 and 13th centuries. Also, Champollion, the person who first learned to read/translate hieroglyphics using the Rosetta stone lived here. But now the tourist season is over, and Americans are hard to come by I guess.

Well...I'm going to get back to not doing much at all. Maybe I'll look up some activities to do with my classes on Tuesday. Wish me luck!

-Shannon

No comments: